Cart is empty
“The history of the Lodi Appellation is rich in American Victorian history. Gold was discovered in 1849 some 20 miles to the east, at Sutter Creek, in the Sierra foothills and the gold rush began. The Lodi area was settled primarily by German fruit farmers, which were migrating from the Dakotas and supplied the gold diggers. The first winery was established in the area in 1858. Many of the early settler families are today 5th generation wine grape growers and winery owners.
The Berghold family became vineyard owners in 1986 and began planning a winery in 1990. Coming from a family that was in the antique business in the historic Pennsylvania area since 1920 the Berghold’s had amassed an important collection of fine American antiques dating from 1740 to 1900. It was therefore decided to create a winery representing the early history of Lodi from 1860 to 1900. Owning a Pennsylvania Dutch barn and growing up in an area rich in beautiful farms with stone houses and barns, it was natural to design a beautiful updated Northern California peak-ended barn. Using this design as the basic winery structure, many Victorian antique architectural features have been implemented. Today the winery is known as “the elegant barn”.
Once inside, visitors are be transported back to the late 1800’s as the building is filled with one of the largest collections of fine American Victorian Antiques in the country. From the 26 foot carved mahogany Eastlake bar that serves as the wine bar in the Tasting Room, to a 26 foot Louis XIV Oak Bar that can be found in the Barrel Room, the selection of antiques is endless. A thirteen foot handmade gilded tower clock featuring two mechanical gnomes beating their drums in unison each hour adds to the overall experience while beautiful armoires, tables and chests hold one of a kind wine related merchandise available for sale. At the center of the Tasting Room, a 1918 Charles Stieff concert grand piano sits beneath a magnificent chandelier from 1890 from the Paramount Theater in New York.
The main entrance to the winery features a pair of ten foot carved cherry doors originally from a Victorian mansion in Philadelphia. The doors are flanked with two beautiful leaded beveled glass sidelights. More than sixty solid wood cabriole corbels – which are actually the legs of antique Victorian grand pianos – accent the building’s roofline while three massive cupolas sit atop the winery, the center structure housing a chandelier that is lighted at night. The winery is surrounded by 85 acres of vineyard, featuring Syrah, Viognier, Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel grapes. These grapes are used to produce the single vineyard estate wines that carry the Berghold Vineyards label.
Other Fine Art, including:
Currean Marble Statue of a nude against a sail from the Paris World Fair in 1885.
Collection of Italian Victorian marble busts
L.M. Wiles painting Yosemite Sentinel Rock with Indian encampment (1886).
Tiffany peacock stained glass window